Cloud infrastructures are becoming an appropriate solution to address the computational needs of scientific applications. However, the use of public or on-premises Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) clouds require users to have non-trivial system administration skills.
For that, IM is a tool that ease the access and the usability of IaaS clouds by automating the VMI selection, deployment, configuration, software installation, monitoring and update of Virtual Appliances. It supports APIs from a large number of virtual platforms, making user applications cloud-agnostic. In addition it integrates a contextualization system to enable the installation and configuration of all the user required applications providing the user with a fully functional infrastructure.
It is a service that features a web-based GUI, a XML-RPC API, a REST API and a command-line application.
IM has been developed by the Grid and High Performance Computing Group (GRyCAP) at the Instituto de Instrumentación para Imagen Molecular (I3M) from the Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV).
The following publications summarise both the development and integration in larger architecture. Please acknowledge the usage of this software by citing the first reference:
- Caballer, M.; Blanquer, I.; Moltó, G.; and de Alfonso, C.; “Dynamic management of virtual infrastructures” . Journal of Grid Computing, Volume 13, Issue 1, Pages 53-70, 2015, ISSN 1570-7873, 10.1007/s10723-014-9296-5.
- Caballer, M.; Moltó, G.; Calatrava, A.; and de Blanquer, I.; “Infrastructure Manager: A TOSCA-Based Orchestrator for the Computing Continuum” . Journal of Grid Computing, Volume 21, Issue 3, 2023, ISSN 1570-7873, 10.1007/s10723-023-09686-7.
- Caballer, M.; de Alfonso, C.; Moltó, G.; Romero, E.; Blanquer, I.; and García, A.; “CodeCloud: A Platform to Enable Execution of Programming Models on the Clouds” . Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 93, Pages 187-198, 2014, ISSN 0164-1212, 10.1016/j.jss.2014.02.005
- Caballer, M., Segrelles, D., Moltó, G. and Blanquer, I. “A Platform to Deploy Customized Scientific Virtual Infrastructures on the Cloud” . Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Volume 27, Issue 16, Pages 4318-4329, 2015, ISSN 1532-0626, 10.1002/cpe.3518.
- Caballer, M.; de Alfonso, C.; Alvarruiz, F. and Moltó, G.; “EC3: Elastic Cloud Computing Cluster” . Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Volume 78, Issue 8, December 2013, Pages 1341-1351, ISSN 0022-0000, 10.1016/j.jcss.2013.06.005.
- Segrelles, D.; Moltó, G. and Caballer, Miguel. “Remote Computational Labs for Educational Activities via a Cloud Computing Platform” . In 2015 Proceedings of the Information Systems Education Conference (ISECON 2015), pp. 309–21, 2015. [Best Paper Award]
- de Alfonso, C.; Caballer, M.; Alvarruiz, F.; Moltó, G.; and Hernández, V.; “Infrastructure Deployment over the Cloud” . In 3rd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom 2011), pp. 517 - 521, 2011, 10.1109/CloudCom.2011.77.
- Caballer, M.; Segrelles, D.; Moltó, G.; and Blanquer, I.; “A platform to deploy customized scientific virtual infrastructures on the cloud” . Concurrency Computation: Practice and Experience, 2015, ISSN 1532-0634, 10.1002/cpe.3518.
- Moltó, G. and Caballer, M. “On Using the Cloud to Support Online Courses” . In 2014 Frontiers in Education Conference., 2014. 10.1109/FIE.2014.7044041.
- “Custom elastic clusters to manage Galaxy environments”. In: EGI Inspired Newsletter (Issue 22), pp 2, January 2016. Available here.